1. Is doctrine important? Why/why not? If the Corinthian church believed in Christ as their redeemer and was united with Christ, then why did Paul reprimand them?
2. Do you have a favorite preacher? What sets apart that preacher from all others? In having a favorite preacher, are you running the risk of being admonished just as the Corinthian church? Why/why not?
3. If faith comes by hearing the Word of God (Romans 10:17), then why is the message of the cross folly? To whom is the message folly? Why? To whom is it not folly? Why?
4. “Apart from Christ crucified, no sinner would ever have enough righteousness to be acceptable to a holy God.” Agree? Would adherents of other religions agree with this statement? If so, is that individual united with Christ? If not, what separates that person from being united with Christ? If you know someone who is separated from union with Christ, are you willing to encourage, even love, that person to become united with Christ?
5. Examine Exodus Chapter 12. What parallels do you see between the Passover and the crucifixion?
6. Have you ever paid twice for something? Were you happy to do it? In essence, God has paid for us twice. Once as Creator and a second time as Redeemer. In paying for us twice, was one price higher than the other? Why or why not?
7. Describe liberty without restraint. Is that the liberty of which the Scriptures speak? If not, what is unique about the concept of liberty in the Scriptures?
8. What were your thoughts at your first Communion? What about the most recent time you took Communion? Have your thoughts deepened over that time frame? If not, why not? Are you willing to study the Scriptures or to ask assistance from your pastor or trusted Christian friend to deepen your understanding of this holy ordinance?